31 December 2010

That's what I get for saying I like my calling

 About 5 months ago I was called to be a Nursery teacher in my ward. To say I was surprised would be a complete understatement. I was currently serving as the ward Music Chairperson and the Relief Society chorister. Pretty low-key responsibilities and I liked it that way. I'm still the music person though. So I was not thrilled with that calling. I dreaded being in charge of the little people for 2 hours. I mean I get enough of that at home but I accepted the calling.

For a 4 or 5 weeks, I really did not enjoy being in the nursery. I was a burden, and I really wanted to be somewhere else. Then I remembered that I hadn't been set apart. (For those of you not LDS, we receive callings to serve in our congregation. When we do we receive a special blessing to help us accomplish these callings and we call that getting set apart). I had been sick, my kids had been sick, I'd been out of town--all kinds of things kept getting in the way. Honestly I can't really remember much of that blessing except that I will make great friendships while serving, but something changed after that day.

I really began to enjoy being in Nursery. I began to love the kids. I began to embrace my time there and make the best of it. I even felt the Spirit during the short 5 minute lesson time. I do enjoy my calling. It's tiring, but I like it. In fact the other day I was telling T-Bone that I'm surprised that I like it so much considering the hesitation I had at the beginning.

Well serves me right because last week I was called as the Nursery Leader instead of just a teacher.

Why oh why did I ever say I liked my calling? No really, though. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge.


4 comments:

Julie said...

It's that ding dang universe!!!

I'm glad you love it. I fear the nursery.

Melissa said...

I wouldn't mind being in nursery... probably because I don't have any kids in there any more ;)

Good luck!

Maile Fano said...

When Cliff and I got called to be in the nursery, I wasn't too excited either, but then that bond is formed with a ton of those little kids. They get excited to see you every week, vice versa. Congrats! Enjoy the challenge!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I always get released when I say out loud that I love my calling. I'm trying to trick the universe this time by keeping my love to myself. ;)