03 January 2011

Knitting For Better

I've been doing a lot of knitting and crocheting lately. I'm even going to list some things on my etsy store pretty soon and hopefully make a little money doing something I love. It's been very fun and relaxing knitting hats and socks and scarves. I made a lot of Christmas gifts and used my knitting powers for good.  However lately I've been thinking I really want to use my knitting powers for better.

I wanted to do this so much I prayed for it. I asked Heavenly Father to help me find a way I could use my talents to help other people. So a few days later I was looking at my local yarn shop' website, Yarning for You, and they had a link for Charity Knitting projects. The project is called Project Keep Our Troops Warm by making knitted beanies for our military. It's perfect! So I've come up with a plan. I want to gather as many knitted beanies as I can by February 28th to deliver to YFY for our soldiers.

Who's with me? If you know how to knit and live close just call me or email me (flipflopmamablog at gmail dot com) and you can drop off your hats. Here's the pattern they want you to use. If you know how to knit and don't live close, then email me and I'll send you my address and you can send me your hats.

If you don't know how to knit, live close and want to learn I'm going to have a tutorial night (and possibly a Saturday morning as well) sometime in the month of January. I'm still trying to nail down a good night--I'll post it when I decide. We'll quickly learn the basics of knitting hats.  You will need to bring your own yarn and needles though which can be picked up pretty cheap at Michael's or JoAnn. If you don't know how to knit and don't live close and still want to help there are tons of videos online that can teach you. My personal preference is knittinghelp.com. Very clear instructions and videos. I've turned to that website many a time-just the other day actually when I was finishing my socks. Once you get the hang of the basic stitches a hat like this can take 3-4 hours. 

If you want to help but don't know how to knit and don't want to learn then please consider donating money for the cost of yarn. A average size skein of yarn runs about $4.00 and can make one hat with some left over.

What better way to start the new year than with a service project? I very strongly support those men and women in the armed forces that keep us safe and I'm glad to find a way to give a little back. Even if it's not much at least we can keep their heads warm.

I want to try to get 20 hats made! I made this one over the weekend so the count is at 1!  Let me know if you want to help!




5 comments:

Melissa said...

What a very cool idea! Maybe I'll just have to learn to knit now :)

madhousewife said...

That is cool. I wish I had skills I could use for better.

On the other hand, could you imagine knitting for evil? That would be something.

Cheryl said...

Good for you! I think that's awesome; I'm thinking that if I had a skill that could help others, I might utilize it, too.

Oh, and hey, Dr. Doofenshmirtz could figure out a way to knit for evil. And yes, I just talked about a cartoon character as if he was real. Which he is. In my mind... (you may back away slowly, now).

Maren said...

I would but I've got no (ok, next to no) skills!

bythelbs said...

You're so cool. If only I had powers to use for good.