19 February 2011

Slightly Ribbed Baby Hat

I made this hat the other day and made up the pattern as I went along. I thought I'd share it!

I made this for a newborn but you could change the needle size or add stitches in multiples of 8 to get whatever size you want.

I used size US 6 4.25mm dpns and Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly baby sport yarn. Again, if you want a bigger hat, use a heavier yarn.

Here is the pattern:

Cast on 72 st
Divide them on 4 dpns and join in the round. (I find that the "ladder effect" from using dpns is not as noticeable if you start with a purl stitch on each needle.)

Starting with a purl stitch do a p1 k3 ribbing for about an inch.
Knit in the round *p1, k7* until piece measures 4" for a newborn.
Decrease round 1: *p1, k6, k2tog*
Round 2 and all even rounds: Knit
Round 3: *p1, k5, k2tog*
Round 5: *p1, k4, k2tog*
Round 7: *p1, k3, k2tog*

Continue in this way (alternating a decrease round with a knit round) the last round. Then k2tog for the round.

Cut yarn and weave through remaining stitches on needles the pull tight. Weave edges in to secure and you're done!


George is modeling so that the "slightly ribbed"design is shown.



3 comments:

Alison Wonderland said...

You made that up? You're amazing.

Melissa said...

Very cool!!

bythelbs said...

So cute!