28 April 2011

Desire and Progress

**Don't forget to enter my give-a-way!**

A few months ago I decided that my abs were way too weak.They never really improved from being pregnant with Mr. Smiley and I guess I thought they would just improve on their own. Haha, I know, right? I was really slouchy sitting at the computer and especially on the couch. They needed help. My posture needed help. I could hardly stand up straight. I had this idea that every day I would get up early and do a few sets of 25 situps in the morning. 

Well that lasted all of about three days. I got super sick and then took a few weeks to recover and just lost all motivation in the morning to get out of bed any kind of early. So I didn't do any situps for a while. Then I started seeing my friend's postings on Facebook about how many situps and pushups she had done each day (thanks to a handy little iPhone app). That was just the motivation I needed to get my butt in gear! 

I bought both the apps and did the initial tests. I could do 50 situps (even though I have lousy posture I can do situps) and a big whopping 3 pushups. I knew I needed some help!

I did the first pushup workout but barely and I'm sure I did some of them on my knees. The next few days I did most of the workout on my knees and it was still really hard.  Finally the wall came on the 6th workout where I couldn't even finish it on my knees. I knew the app was making me progress faster than I could. So I went back a few days. From then on I've only done them on my toes. I have slowly progressed so that I can do 20 in a row! Also I can do 200 situps consecutively, as well now.  It's so great to be able to see myself progress.

There was a talk given in the LDS General Conference about desire by Elder Dallin H. Oaks. He said:
Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. In addition, it is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something, whether a true friend, a gifted teacher, or one who has qualified for eternal life.
I know that this is mostly about the desire for eternal life and to be a better person through coming closer to Christ, but I think that it can apply to most of the things in our life. If we desire something, we are going to make it a priority and choose what we want to accomplish that goal. I had a desire to be strong. I chose to work hard. In one month I've improved so that I'm 5 times "stronger" that I was when I started. That's a good feeling. It's good to see progress.


4 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

You're a rockstar!

Staceygirl said...

I've been working out nearly every day for two months with a focus on my core body, and I can't do anywhere near 200 sit-ups consecutively. How is that even possible? I can do 31 push-ups though! At least I'm improving. Keep up the good work, but don't challenge me to a sit-up contest :)

Julie said...

I couldn't agree more, my friend. It's incredible what priorities and discipline can do.

Emily said...

Awesome! I kept seeing your posts and even looked into the app, but it wasn't free... i've never actually bought an app before so I was scared ;)

Love the how you worked in a quote from conference.

You. Rock.