06 April 2011

Putting Myself Out There

I'm thinking of doing this: Sidewalk Saturday.

The thought of it really makes me excited, but it also terrifies me! I have such fear of putting my stuff out there and having no one want to buy it. I'm not sure I can live with the disappoinment. Since listing most of my things on Etsy, I've only sold a few custom-made things to my family members. I'm really happy about that, but I really want to sell something to someone who is not related to me. People are looking at my items, I have over 80 views on just one item but they just aren't selling. Are my prices too high? I'm not putting this out there so that you will all feel sorry for me and buy something, but just putting it out there because it makes me kind of sad. It's hard when your hopes are dashed.

Maybe I need to do this sidewalk fair to get my Etsy name out there. Etsy is such a huge place and I'm just a little fish. Let me be clear that I'm not looking to make a business out of this. I really just want a way to make a little money doing something I love. And mostly so I can keep buying yarn and supporting my hobby. :) 

I love knitting and crocheting. I love the peace I feel when I have those needles in my hands and they are making something out of string. I guess I just need some more confidence in myself.

What do you think, my few readers? Should I pay the $50 bucks and take a chance or just accept the fact that I am destined to make gifts instead of money?  (Not that I don't love giving my things as gifts, I really do)




6 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Getting your name out there and making contacts should be your main aim if you do this Sidewalk thing. Never underestimate the power of networking. :)

beck said...

you should totally do it! i have done craft fairs and etsy and sold lots at craft fairs and didnt sell much on etsy till i found my niche which happens to be mainly halloween costumes. so it only happens 1 time a year and then i go back to selling a few things here and there. and i have to say that i don't think i ever got any sells on etsy from my craft fairs. although i always did have my cards out and tell them to just send me an email and i would make what they wanted and post on etsy. etsy is kinda hard, expecially when others steal your designs. that happened to me too. anyways, go for it so you don't have to wonder. and make sure to do your research on craft fairs and which ones will be the best for you to sell at and such. so many factors to look into cause they are all a little different and some you will sell more at than others. so even if you do just one dont give up if you dont doo well. good luck!

Emily said...

i would say.... if you have the time and 50 bucks, you should do it. don't do it to make money, do it, just for yourself! have some cards printed up with your web addy to hand out.... i think you should ;)

jdprice said...

do it!

Staceygirl said...

At my first garage sale, I vowed it would also be my last. It wasn't worth my time! However, if you are willing to go even with the possibility that you won't do too well, and you think you will still be glad you at least tried, then do it. If not doing well will really break your heart, then I wouldn't. I LOVE the baby blanket you knitted, but what makes it extra special is that it was made by Brandon's aunt with her own hands. So, I think you should take more joy in selling things to family/friends and giving them as gifts because they are so much more treasured that way (plus, you're saving money you would have otherwise spent on a gift). You shouldn't need to sell to a stranger to feel like your items are worthwhile. I will NEVER get rid of that baby blanket... EVER! Don't let me discourage you, though... if you want to find out if it will work, then go for it! Just remember people might not be in the mood for warm weather items if it is hot outside.

Staceygirl said...

You knew I meant warm items for cold weather, right? I was thinking about the fact that I misspoke for the rest of the day. Oops! :)