26 August 2011

Vacation Rundown--Part 2

Well I am really slacking at getting these vacation posts up. I can always find something I want to do more...If you missed the first one, here it is.

So after we left Crestline on Tuesday afternoon we drove all day to the Bay Area. I won't bore you with the mundane details of an 8 hour car trip.

The next day was my Grandpa's funeral. It was so wonderful to be there. I was really grateful we made the trip. Late last year I kept getting the feeling that we needed to see my grandparents, so if you remember in January we took a trip to see my grandparents. I was so glad we made that trip to be able to see my grandpa once more before he died. All my siblings and spouses were there and so many cousins, aunts and uncles (all of them actually) I hadn't seen in years! It made for a great family reunion. It's weird how funerals can do that...on one hand they are sad and somber--I miss my grandpa--but I loved seeing my family!

T-Bone and my brother being awesome

The boys of the family


The girls of the family

Me, my siblings and spouses

My uncle Phil gave the eulogy and I learned things about my grandpa I never knew. He won the award for most likely to be the most successful dentist (or something to that effect) from UCSF. He practiced for 37 years and was very well loved by his patients. He told his kids before he died, "People are important. Things are not." Great words of advice that I think will become the family motto. A few other things I want to remember: he had appendicitis; loved to garden-which I knew; loved technology and especially new technology. He always had to have the latest thing. He was super smart and loved to learn. He had an amazing testimony and loved to teach people. He knew what his purpose on earth was but he was ready to move on and get going on his next purpose.  Before he died he told my aunt Kathy "Do you know what the plan is?  When I die, they are going to send me to a very large hill so I can teach the gospel to a lot of people." My dad spoke then about Grandpa's love of the gospel and of the truth of the resurrection. He ended his talk by reciting "Did Jesus really Live Again".

Did Jesus really live again?
Yes, when the third day came,
He wakened and he left the tomb;
He called Mary’s name.

Did Jesus come to those he loved?
Yes, people touched his feet,
And of the fish and honeycomb
He did truly eat.

And there were nail-prints in his hands
And a spear wound in his side.
Did Jesus really live again
After he had died? Oh yes! And so shall I!

It was perfect. Of course there were tears shed, but how can you be sad about a life so well lived? He was a great man. I feel blessed to have known, loved and been related to him.

After the funeral I tried to get pictures of the grandchildren on my side of the family but that was like herding cats. It didn't work very well.
Uncle Tyler and Abbie
My darling niece Abby
All cousins except my brother's kids
All the cousins on my side...it was rough trying to get pictures of them...
Big Sister with cousin Elizabeth
My sister
My sister-in-law with her daughter, Millie
After the service we went to the gravesite and one of my uncles dedicated the grave. Then we had a luncheon and said goodbye to most of the family. I wish we could have spent more time together though!

Jesse, Elizabeth and Grandma
Grandma and Jesse
My cousins carrying my Grandpa's casket
The pallbearers--all of these are my cousins except my brother
Siblings
Jesse and my Dad

Later that day we went to Pacifica with my brother and his family and just relaxed on the beach while Jesse surfed.
Playing in the sand. This boy loves sand!
Jesse catching some waves

Jumping off cliffs!

Despite having to say goodbye on this earth to my grandpa it was a great day with friends and family.

**stay tuned for installment number 3...hopefully a lot quicker than this one. **

1 comment:

Maile Fano said...

It IS amazing how funerals can bring so many loved ones around. That is the part of funerals that I love as well. I am sad to hear about your grandpa, but it looks like you had a good day!