02 September 2011

I just don't get it

I got my first taste of the new "Breast Cancer Awareness" Facebook status game yesterday. My friend wrote, "I'm 4 weeks and craving bubblegum." Figuring this particular woman would not be getting pregnant and announcing it at 4 weeks and also craving bubblegum I knew there was something up. This morning another friend posted something similar but with a different number of weeks and craving something different. Call me slow but I started to catch on that there was a Facebook chain letter thing going on. (In case you haven't seen it here's a link that explains it.)

Also call me crazy, but I just don't get it. The bra color thing was funny 2 years ago because it actually had something to do with breast cancer, but I thought the purse thing last year was pushing it. This year it's just going too far. What the heck does announcing a fake pregnancy have to do with raising breast cancer awareness??????

Seriously, it's driving me nuts. There has got to be a better way. Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but how about, "September is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Feel your boobies." or just posting a link to the Breast Cancer Awareness website? I'm pretty sure that gets the point across a lot more than confusing a bunch of people and possibly even hurting others feelings. Maybe I'm just ultra-sensitive because of my pregnancy history, but I rank this along the same lines as April Fool's jokes where women announce their fake pregnancies just to get a laugh.

Some of you probably don't agree with me and may even think it's funny. Rest assured that I bear no hard feelings if you want to play along, this is my opinion and my opinion only, but I won't be playing along. Instead I'm just going to ignore them and hope they stop. Ugh...


9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm so with you on this one!

Emily said...

I agree. Those things are just getting old. But there are some of my friends out there that I just expect will participate and they'll love it because it's the simple things that make them laugh. I dont judge, but it's not my thing.

Agree. Well put woman.

Jackie Romney said...

I agree. What does announcing a fake pregnancy have anything to do with boobs...the fact that they get bigger when pregnant??? I feel bad because a friend of mine really is pregnant and just announced that she is and now everyone else is taking the joy out of it. And I also think it's a little unsensitive.

Melissa said...

I don't like it either. Not going to repost. I don't think I did last year either... I did post the bra one :)

Sissamom said...

You are so right! Thank you for putting this out there.

AmberLynnUK said...

I got to your blog by searching Google to double-check before commenting on my friend's status. I couldn't join in even if I thought it was worthwhile. My sister in the US would jump for joy if I posted "I'm 10 weeks and craving lollipops" and the sister I had lunch with in the UK today would ring to ask why I hadn't told her! There would just be so much hurt created and for what? Pregnancies are precious gifts and should not be joked about IMHO. I love your alternative: "... Feel your boobies". =D

Rebecca said...

Well, this explains my husband's recent status update of "eight weeks and craving m&m's." I didn't know he was trying to raise breast cancer awareness!

bythelbs said...

I only saw one friend post like that and came really close to asking her if she was pregnant. So glad I didn't.

I think it's lame, too. But then I thought the bra thing and the purse thing were also kind of lame. Why do we need cutesy ways to raise breast cancer awareness anyway? (Especially such cryptic ones!) I like your direct approach, though I'd prefer not to read "boobies" on a bunch of statuses either. ;)

Amanda D said...

I saw a few of these posts and couldn't figure out what the purpose was. I'm with you -- Lame!