10 September 2011

Vacation Rundown--Part 3 (The Final Chapter!)

I know you all have been waiting with baited breath for the third and final--thank goodness!--installment of our Northern California vacation back in July. Yes I know it's the middle of September. Anyway, here goes....

We pick up the day after my grandpa's funeral, on Thursday. Orignally we had thought we'd just drive home on Thursday but since T-Bone could take the time off we decided to stick around the bay area and make a real vacation out of it! My brother and sister-in-law were there too so we spent the day with them.

We went to San Francisco around Pier 39 and once again this is as close as I've gotten to Alcatraz. I have wanted to go there my whole life. Someday...


We took the kids on a Cable Car ride
Rode the carousel at the Zeum museam
Found the Painted Ladies houses
These are houses I've wanted to see my whole life too. At least I can cross that off the list now. And how cool is it that my Grandparents lived in the one next to the yellow one?? So cool.

After an exhausting day in the city we drove to Los Altos and stayed in a crappy hotel. It had this door in the back that was bolted shut with a piece of sheet metal and reeked of cigarette smoke. We did eat at this super yummy sports bar for dinner though. The greasiest food I've probably ever eaten, but we were all starving and it was delicious!

The next day we stopped by and said good bye to my Grandma. Rachel got some one on one time.
And we took a picture with all of us.

After we left my Grandma's house on Friday we hit the road. On the way home we planned to stop at Henry Cowell Redwood Park in Santa Cruz to break up the trip a little. Imagine our surprise when we kept hearing the Thomas the Train song and train whistles when we pulled up. It was the Day Out With Thomas! So we hung out there a little while and took a picture with Thomas and Sir Thopham Hatt.





Then we walked around the redwood grove and saw all the huge trees.



We hit quite a bit of traffic on the way home and since we spent more time at the redwood grove then we planned it took us quite a while to get home. We pulled in at 1 am I think. Needless to say we were exhausted! I'm glad we had decided to drive home on Friday so we could have Saturday to recuperate. We needed it! Luckily the kids slept most of the night in the car so it wasn't too bad for them.

All in all it was great to get away and have a family vacation. Mr. Smiley loved the trip!

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Re: the painted ladies - the second house from the left in your picture is the one Grandma and Grandpa Price lived in when they first were married. I always thought that was fun!

flip flop mama said...

Thank you Aunt Sharon! I knew they lived in one of them, but I've never been told which one.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

That's a lot of awesomeness in a short amount of time!

Rebecca said...

My two youngest kids did Day Out with Thomas about three years ago. It was adorable.

I haven't been to San Francisco in years. The last time I visited was in 1998, and I had a very bad experience and swore I'd never go back. Now I can't remember exactly why I hated it so much. It might have been the traffic. Maybe if I went back without a car, I could heal old wounds.

Staceygirl said...

So good to capture those moments with grandmas and great grandmas before they're gone.