11 October 2011

I Am a Christian

I don't watch the news on TV so when I get news it's usually through the internet headlines or something posted on Facebook. The last couple days there has been lots of things posted about Mormon's not being Christians (On a side note, what the heck does a Presidential candidate's religion have to do with his ability to run for President?). I want to take this opportunity to clear this up amongst my friends and family. I may not be what some people define "Christian" but I wanted to share why I believe I am indeed a Christian.

I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that the only way to receive salvation is through Him. I believe He died for me, was resurrected and that through the power of the Atonement, I can repent of my sins and return to live with him and my Heavenly Father.

I believe that although Joseph Smith restored the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the earth in the 1800's it was only under the direction of Jesus Christ. It is His church and everything we teach is what our Savior wants us to know. As one of the Book of Mormon prophets wrote,
And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins. 2 Ne 25:26
Instead of listening to someone who clearly has no idea what he's talking about, do your own research. Go look at Mormon.org and make a decision yourself.

My name is Jamie, I'm a wife, a mom, a Californian. I am a Mormon and I am a Christian.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Agree. This has really been bugging me lately. Thanks for posting. And seriously, why do people even care? I say if you call yourself a Christian, then you are one! Whether or not you're a good one is between Him and yourself....

amy said...

Great post Jamie! You are such an example of standing up for what you believe. Thanks for sharing!

hi, i'm brooke! said...

love this jamie. and YES, it IS ridiculous that all of the sudden religion is in the frontline for a presidential election. it's so ridiculous.