23 March 2012

Keep on keeping on

Last weekend I found a copy of Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss at a resale shop and bought it. Mr. Smiley has been asking me to read it multiple times a day so I'm getting pretty familiar with it. I think this is one of Dr. Seuss' most inspirational books. It helps kids see what the future can bring and how to get there. I love how realistic it is. He talks about how bad things are going to happen and that we will have setbacks in life but that we can eventually succeed. To me it's kind of a life-is-about-the-journey type of book. Today as I was reading it to Mr. Smiley I was struck by a certain part:
Whether you like it or not, 
Alone will be something
you'll be quite a lot.
And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on. 
And this is the part I really liked today:
But on you will go
though the weather be foul.
On you will go 
though your enemies prowl.
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many 
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike.
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.
On Sunday at church we were talking about enduring to the end. This part in the book really illustrated that point to me. Even though life doesn't always go the way we want, or we run into stumbling blocks and have bad things happen to us we just have to keep going. The illustrations have the little guy in a boat rowing through dark, turbulent water surrounded by scary looking creatures, but he just keeps rowing.  He just keeps on keeping on. On he goes. On we will go to face up to life so that we can succeed.


I love this and hope I can remember it during the hard times in life as I continue to endure to the end.
So…
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O’Shea,
you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

2 comments:

Shellybythesea said...

It's my coffee table book. I love it.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Love this post. :)