15 March 2012

On being a homebody and other randomness

I realized something this morning: I would rather spend most of the day at home then go somewhere. This is the complete opposite of when I had Big Sister or Mr. Smiley. Especially with Big Sister I longed for places to go and things to do. I went to the library every week for story time and sometimes twice a week for the puppet show, I went to the park all the time, we went for walks. I was busy. With Mr. Smiley it wasn't quite like that but we stayed fairly busy. Now I have to make myself leave the house to go to the grocery store. Getting out and going to the park is more of a chore than it is fun. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Mr. Smiley will play at home. He likes to play with toys and can entertain himself. Big Sister never could--she still can't. She doesn't like playing with toys and needs to be in my face all the time if she's not occupied with a book.

Right now I have a stack of library books that are due today and am actually dreading going to return them. Mr. Smiley doesn't really like story time at the library so I have no motivation to bring him. T-Bone has somewhere to go tonight so I'm going to have him drop the books of. Hooray! Saved again from leaving the house. 

What has become of me? 

My kids love scrambled egg burritos. We'll have them for dinner usually once a week and a few times a week I'll make them for Mr. Smiley for lunch. The other day I had just gotten done scrambling the eggs and told Mr. Smiley, who was standing on a chair next to me "helping" me, "Don't touch. It's very hot." I turned to put the eggs on the tortilla and heard sizzle! Of course he had touched the stove. He has three blisters on his index finger and one on the others. Poor kid! He keeps telling me, "I touched the stove, Mom and got an owie." Yep. That's what happens. I hope he learns. Since I wanted him to have that hand in water as much as possible to soothe the burn I put him in front of a movie. He loves the new Phineas and Ferb movie. It's pretty cute. He watched it twice the day he burned his hand and I have been singing the songs in my head ever since. "A brand new reality, a brand new reality...I guess I'll see you around!" "I found a brand new best friend, and it's me!" They're pretty catchy.

I am loving Little Sister lately--I mean I've always loved her and still love her, but you know what I mean. I have been enjoying her more and more each day. She is super smiley right now. I love when I come into her field of vision she'll look at me and then a few seconds later a huge smile will come across her face! It just melts my heart. And the cooing! We have little cooing conversations. Love it!

I'm reading a lot lately. I just finished Sarah's Key and I have to say I think that has to be one of the worst books I have read. I don't usually hate on books but this one...I enjoyed learning about the historical part of the book--the round-up of the Parisian Jews during WWII by the French Police, but the execution of the book was terrible. It was for one of the book clubs I belong to so I'm interested to see how everyone else felt about it. I'm reading As I Lay Dying now.  It is for the other book club I'm in. I also got the digital copy of 1984 that I requested a while back. Can you believe I've never read it? I only get it for 2 weeks so I think I might have to put down As I Lay Dying and read 1984 instead.  I'm not sure I even read 12 books last year but this year I set a Goodreads goal to read 17 and I've already read 6 so I'm well on my way. (If you're not my friend on Goodreads go add me).

Anyway that's about it. Life is good.

4 comments:

Julie P said...

That is funny to hear your review of Sarah's Key. People keep recommending it to me, but I haven't been able to get on board yet.

And yes, Little Sister is so adorable.

Maile Fano said...

I think a lot has to do with packing the kids up as well. It is just so much easier to stay home. The only time I like to get out is when I am going by myself to the grocery store...ok not even then. But, I don't like having to get the kids in and out, in and out...you get the point. CARSEATS...UGH!!!! I am with you though, as long as the kids are fine playing at home, there is no need to go anywhere.

Shellybythesea said...

Maybe you will like the movie "Sarah's Key" better. I liked it, even though the subject matter was difficult to handle. Once you have children of your own...everything changes.
I read 1984 many years ago. A very profound book for me...especially when Big Brother finds out what your worst fear is........that still freaks me out!
Get "Anthem" by Ayn Rand on audio. I've read the book, but the audio version was even better! The ending says everything about who we are and what we believe about ourselves and our purpose. I loved it!!!!

Janelle said...

I've been treated like a scourge and a plague while hauling my kids around town lately. I dread leaving the house to non church events lately because my toddler is out of control.