25 May 2012

Mr. Smiley is 3!

Today is my little man's third birthday! His such a special kid in our family. We love him to pieces! At first when I asked him what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday he said, "Green!" since green is his favorite color. But once we started talking about what he wanted for his birthday he changed his mind to a Spider-Man cake. I wasn't sure I'd be able to accomplish the task, but I thought I'd do my best. I looked on Youtube for videos and found a great one that I could get ideas from. It was very helpful. So I set out to make my first fondant cake. Up until now my cake decorating skills were polka-dots or as Big Sister wanted last year the number 7 made of marshmallows. Making and decorating cakes is not something I can say that I'm good at. My cakes always come out either too moist or just fall apart in my hands.

So I knew that I would need some help and enlisted my dear old friends on Facebook. They gave me good advice and I used Julie P.'s cake recipe. SO easy! It came out perfect (and I'm sure it tastes great too). Then I made homemade buttercream frosting (for the first time) and that was super yummy and easy! I never knew buttercream frosting was so easy to make and use. I don't think I will ever buy frosting again.

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details, but here is what I made (and some cute pictures of him I took last week). I have to say based on what I've made in the past, I'm pretty proud of myself. I hope Mr. Smiley knows how much we love him!


A few things about him:
*He loves the color green
*He loves his green blanket
*He loves the Iron-Man Armored Adventures show on Netflix
*He loves Spider-man, trains, balls, riding his bike, laughing, snuggling, reading books and watching Basketball

We love you Mr. Smiley! Happy 3rd Birthday!


7 comments:

Julie P said...

He is such a cutie pie!

Shellybythesea said...

Happy Birthday sweetie!!! Your grandma loves you!!!

Julie said...

He is a darlin'!!! And your cake turned out AWESOME!!! I am a huge fan of homemade cake and frosting - it's crazy easy and so much yummier. You have excellent cake decorating skills!

Maile Fano said...

The cake turned out really good. Nice job!!! He is a cute little boy and I love to hear about the things he does.

Staceygirl said...

That is a super nice looking cake... I hope he appreciated it :) Happy birthday, Mr. Smiley!

Amanda D said...

It looks great! You did a good job on the cake.

Happy birthday to your little man!

madhousewife said...

I love his smile! Happy birthday to him. He looks like you.