22 May 2012

On Guacamole


The other night we had some friends over to play games. During the nightly conversation the husband asked us how we like our guacamole. He said he had found a new guacamole recipe that he was excited to try because he never seems to make good guacamole. I didn't ask him what was in this recipe but now I'm curious.

I've grown up eating guacamole my whole life. Burritos or tacos for dinner without it? Never going to happen. My kids love avocados--when they were little I would feed it to them straight out of the skin. Avocados are something we eat a lot of. The other day I made a burrito and just put sliced avocados on the top. Over the years I've made a lot of guacamole too. I've added lots of spices and things like green onions, regular onions, cilantro, tomatoes, salsa, or sour cream to liven it up. If I am feeling like putting things in my guacamole I prefer some green onion and cilantro. But I have to say that I prefer my guacamole pure.

All I do is mash up the avocado and just sprinkle some salt and a little pepper in it and to me that is the perfect guacamole. That's how it was on our steak fajitas tonight and boy were they delicious! I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority though so I wonder, how do you take your guacamole?

5 comments:

The Roz's said...

Mmmm... my kids love guac and avocados too! I like to put lime juice, jalapeno, tomato, garlic, olive oil, just a little sour cream and salt and pepper. I should go make some now! I'd make it more often but avocados just cost too much sometimes, we'll eat a bowl of guacamole in one day, made with 4 avocados. Finally they are getting cheaper though!

madhousewife said...

I freaking love guacamole. I don't have it often enough. Because avocados can get spendy. I use lime juice, salt, a little bit of onion and jalapenos. But just avocados and salt and pepper sounds great to me. I love avocados.

bythelbs said...

I would eat guacamole any of those ways. I love plain avocado too. But my standard guac lately has been avocados, lime, a little onion, a little garlic and salt.

Shellybythesea said...

I slice avocado and mash it on toast. Sprinkle 21 seasonings from Trader Joe's...add more salt and pepper and it's just about perfect. FYI:the reason why some avocados that you buy from the store are rotten on the inside is because they ship them in a refrigerator. Avocados DO NOT LIKE THAT!!! A farmer's market is often your best bet.....or your neighbor's tree! Ha!!

Sharon said...

I've got my own little recipe, which has become a favorite around here. I mash 2 avocados, add a big spoonful of sour cream, some lemon juice (lime would be great too), maybe a little tomato, and some dry taco seasoning. I cannot get enough of it. I only wish avocados were cheaper here.