21 June 2012

Facebook, I'm Over You

I've had enough of Facebook; I'm going dark. I hate that it chooses what posts from people I see and what I don't. I hate that now we choose our "Close Friends". I can only think of a handful of "friends" that I don't want to see what is going on with their life. I hate that when I click on "Close Friends" it tells me everything they have done: the statuses they like, the pictures they like, their Friendings, anything they comment on. I don't care. I just want to see my friends' statuses and the pictures they post. Like it used to be. I like to know what is going on with their life not what they like about other people's lives.

So fair warning, I won't be looking on Facebook anymore. I'll check my notifications once a day but that's it. So if you want to write something to me directly I'll see it but otherwise if you are announcing your pregnancy, giving birth or any other exciting life change I'm just going to have to find out the old fashioned way. Please forgive me if I don't wish you a Happy Birthday or "like" your funny statuses or comment on how cute your baby is.

Farewell Facebook and your wealth of personal information. When you change and get back to a simpler life, look me up.

While I'm on the subject of frustrations and annoyances I'm thinking of switching my blog to Wordpress. Those of you that are Wordpress users, tell me why I should or shouldn't. And keep in mind that I have almost 7 years of posts on here. Is it worth making the switch?


9 comments:

Michele said...

I agree with you and feel the same way. I will miss your pics and "talking" to you directly. I have your blog bookmarked so now I will just have to remember to come here and hear what is happening with the Flip flop family :).

Julie P said...

Love it. This morning I just took the app off my phone since that's where I usually read FB. I think I was the last person I know to join, and I want to leave. It's just hard to feel out of the loop from all the Big News you talked about - babies and such.

I'm on wordpress and I've liked it up until recently. (I started out on blogger in 2005) Lately they're having commenting glitches - my aunt and some friends can't comment on my site, I can't comment on some other WP blogs. It's weird and a pain and I haven't figured out a solution yet.

mt said...

(By the way, this is Mother of the Wild Boys...logged in on my mom's computer)
Great minds think alike...I've been contemplating dropping FB again too. No worries though, you know I'll share any of my BIG news on the good ol' blog. :)

bythelbs said...

I don't even know how Facebook works anymore. Have no idea what the "close friends" thing is. I just get on there to play scrabble and words with friends.

I've never really had a problem with wordpress, but I've not been blogging much the past several months, so if there are changes/glitches there, I haven't been around to notice.

Janelle said...

I liked the old facebook better too. I've had random ads show up in my feed that I never liked and were in fact offended by so that has me worried. I've liked wordpress, but Julie can't comment on my blog. Which is totally annoying.

Janelle said...

I liked the old facebook better too. I've had random ads show up in my feed that I never liked and were in fact offended by so that has me worried. I've liked wordpress, but Julie can't comment on my blog. Which is totally annoying.

Melissa said...

I have felt that way from time to time too. But, we've lived in 4 different states, 8 different cities, 13 different homes/apartments. There are so many people that I want to keep up with... I'm like you though... I want all of the statuses back. If I want someone blocked, I'll block them - thankyouverymuch!

Shellybythesea said...

I dropped FB a year ago. Thought I'd miss it, but haven't thought about it since. Go figure! I still know what's going on with friends by word of mouth. In other words, before FB there were actually other forms of effective communication. 'like'

Gibbons Family said...

Facebook is tickin' me off too. I'm not ready to leave but I'm definitely cutting back. Looking at it knowing that I'm missing tons of stuff just isn't as appealing. So I'm with you dude! PS. I tried wordpress for a while and didn't really care for it.
emily