16 August 2012

Summer is coming to a close and I'm ready

It has been so hot here the last week. It's been in the 90's and so humid. I know, I know I shouldn't complain. Many other places are like that all summer long but we are not used to it! I have been miserable. I can usually handle heat waves because they are few and far between and only last 2-3 days but this time it was rough. I think going from the gorgeous mild summer we've had so far to extreme temps for San Diego was a shock  So being the wimp I am I shut the windows and turned on the air. The air was on for at least a week straight and it's never been on that long consecutively before. It was at least bearable with the a/c on. Tuesday night I had had enough though. I needed fresh air!  It was still hot but cooling so I opened the windows all night. When I woke up my nose was stuffy! The cloud cover stayed for much of the morning so it was cooler and I took advantage of the fresh air and kept the windows open. But the damage had been done. My nose was runny and itchy ALL day!  The same thing happened today. We slept with the windows open last night and I woke up with itchy eyes and a  runny nose. I have discovered I'm allergic to fresh air!  I always knew I had allergies but to see the contrast this week has been interesting. No way I'm giving up my fresh air for allergy reprieve though! Pass me the Kleenex!

Speaking of contrasts all summer we've been at the pool once or twice a week. At the beginning of the summer Mr. Smiley would not even go in the little pool without me sitting on the edge or actually being in the pool with him. It was hard to get him to enjoy the pool with a little baby I was trying to keep out of the sun. Then when we came back from AZ he had a break through and would finally go in and play without me. But he still would not set foot in the big pool. If I tried to get him to go in with me he would panic and grip on to me to me so tight. And don't get me started with his floatie. We have one of those life jacket/floatie things and he wouldn't touch it. I kept asking him if he wanted to wear it though. Nope, he was happy walking around the baby pool. Then last weekend we went to the pool and all of a sudden he asked for it. "I want to float around in the little pool," he said. Ok. So he got a little brave and lifted his feet off the ground. He swam around there a little then he said "I want to go in the big pool with you." What the? He actually went in and while Saturday he still wouldn't let go of me by Tuesday he was floating and kicking without me even near him!  Such a transformation from the timid little guy at the beginning of the summer!  I'm glad we at lest have a few more weeks of warm weather so he can get more comfortable before he forgets it all and we have to start over next summer.

School starts on Monday. Two weeks ago I wasn't excited for school to start and thought summer seemed too short until the heat wave hit. Then my kids got stir crazy and restless. Now I'm ready for it to start. Big sister will be in 3rd grade(!) and Mr. Smiley is going to do a Joy School with 4 or 5 other kids his age. Should be fun!

Well ta ta for now! Time to get ready for our last official summer ward pool day!

1 comment:

madhousewife said...

I hate being hot. But I also hate being cold. I pretty much just always want to be comfortable. I'm a big fat whinypants.