01 July 2013

Patience

"My promise to you who pray and serve the Lord cannot be that you will have every blessing you may wish for 
yourself and your family. But can promise you that the Savior will draw close to you and bless 
you and your family with what is best. You will have the comfort of His love and feel the answer of His 
drawing closer as you reach out your arms in giving service to others."--Henry B Eyring

This blog is not dead and for that I'm grateful. I don't have any other place to write down things about my kids and I would hate for them to be grown up and not have anything to read about their lives. I've been on Instagram a lot more but that doesn't mean I can't put some thoughts down here every once and a while. 

The quote means a lot to me. I listened to this talk from the April 2013 General Conference just now and really needed to hear that. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 kids. Right now the arrangement is manageable because all three kids are in the master bedroom and we are in the small room. However for the last couple years we have been trying to move into a bigger place. There have been three places over the last 2 years that we have desired to move to and 2 have fallen through and one we have turned down. The most recent being last month. In April we found what we thought was the perfect apartment. First of all we could afford it! Second it was a 3-bedroom and third it had washer and dryer hookups! We quickly did what was needed to get on the interest list and within a couple weeks we were offered an apartment. Both the husband and I really felt like this was the place. This was the right course of action for our family. 

We went through the application process and were slated to move the middle of last month. 10 days before we were supposed to move they told us that we were not approved. WHAT?!? Telling the truth I was devastated. I had longed for this apartment and really felt like Heavenly Father was guiding us there. 

But alas it wasn't meant to be. 

I have struggled with this for the last couple weeks which is why the quote by Elder Eyring really hit me. I have come to some realizations the last week or so that my priorities have been way off and need readjusting. The idea that Heavenly Father will give us what we need when we are doing our part and trying to draw closer to the Savior is just the icing on the cake to what I've heard and read the last two days. Patience is hard! Even though it's hard to wait I'm comforted by the fact that Heavenly Father knows me and he will give us what we need when the time is right.  

If you want to watch or read the talk by Elder Eying here is the link: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/come-unto-me?lang=eng

4 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Sorry, my computer is messing up....what I was trying to say is:
Patience is one of the hardest things for me to learn, and I appreciate your perspective. :)

Julie said...

I really love that quote. My April general conference viewing was less than stellar (family reunion) and I missed this important teaching.

I love your perspective. It is so frustrating when things don't go the way we hope...especially when we feel we are being directed a certain way. I was discussing this very thing with a friend recently. It's hard to trust that we were being inspired even as things don't end up working out how we thought they would. I do believe we are, though! And I believe that Heavenly Father is testing our obedience all along the way. Will she keep listening and acting even when she doesn't get the results she expects? I hope I will always be one He can count on.

I see from this post that you are one of those daughters He can count on. Thank you for sharing this!

Staceygirl said...

I've been feeling the same way lately. I feel like when things don't go as you think they will, there is a reason for it. Maybe someday you will find out what it is, and maybe not... it doesn't matter either way when you put your trust in the Lord.